| Field of Research Interests
International Politics and Security, United Nations system studies, UN peace and security (conflict prevention, peacemaking, peacekeeping, and peacebuilding), human security and humanitarian issues, security in the Asia-Pacific region, US foreign and defense policy, intelligence studies.
Recent Publications (Selected)
- ”Peacebuilding & Human Security in Fragile States,” Japan Spotlight, Vol.28-No.6 (November/December 2009, Japan Economic Foundation).
- ”Heiwa sakusen to Kokuren (Peace Operations and the UN),” Kaigai jijo (Journal of World Affaris), Vol.57-No.4 (in Japanese, April 2009, Institute of World Studies, Takushoku University)
- ”Fusoyobo to Kokuren Kokuren Heiwa-kochiku-iinkai no Katsudo wo chushintoshite (Conflict Prevention and the Untied Nations, with particular reference to the work of the UN Peacebuilding Commission)”, in Kokusai Kyoryoku Kenkyu (International Cooperation Studies) Vol.24-No.1 (in Japanese, April 2008, the Japan International Cooperation Agency)
- “Kokuren, Heiwakochiku, Nippon Kokuren Heiwa-kochiku iinkai no katsudo wo chushin- toshite (The United Nations, Peacebuilding and Japan Centering around the work of the UN Peacebuilding Commission,” Kokusai Kokyo Seisaku kenkyu (International Public Policy Studies) Vol.13-No.1 (in Japanese, August 2008, Osaka University).
- “Global Governance, Japan and the United Nations” in Glenn D. Hook and Hugo Dobson, Global Governance and Japan: The International Architecture (Routledge, 2007).
- “The Peacebuilding Equation: Human Security and Rebuilding the Functions of Government,” Gaiko Forum, Vol.6 No.4 (Winter 2007).
- Heiwa Seisaku (Peace Policies), (Co-authored in Japanese, Tokyo, Yuhikaku, 2006)
- “Japan’s Approach to Comprehensive Collective Security: The Current Policy and Practices and the Idea of 3-D Peacebuilding Strategy,” Korean Journal of International Orgnizations,Vol.1 No.1 (September 2006).
- “Kokuren to Amerika (The United Nations and America),” NIRA et.al. eds. Global Governance: “Aratana kyoi” to Kokuren, Amerika, (Global Governance: ‘”New Threats” and the UN, America) (in Japanese) (Tokyo: Nihon Keizai Shimposha, 2006).
- “Soredemo Nihon ga Jonin-rijikoku ni naru Ruyu (Japan’s Bid for a Permanent Membership has Valid Reasons)” Foresight, June 2005.
- “Beigun Saihen to Okinawa no Transufomeishon (The Restructuring of US Forces and Transformation of Okinawa),” Sekai Shuho, April 2005.
- “Japan in an East Asia Community,” in Hoon and Morii eds., Cooperation Experiences in Europe and Asia (Tokyo, DESK, the University of Tokyo, 2004)
- “The Meaning of the Dispatch of the Japan’s SDF,” Sung-Hank Kang ed. The United Nations and Global Crisis Management (Seoul: Korean Academic Council on the United Nations System, 2004)
- “The Global Role of EU: A Japanese Perspective,” Chaillot Paper: The Global Role of the European Union: Views from the World (Paris: EU Institute of Security Studies, November 2004)
- “Kokusai-heiwa kaihuku Seisaku no Riso to Jissai: ‘Takokukan-shugi no KIki’ wo Koete (Concept and Practice of International Peace Restoration Policy: Beyond the “Crisis of Multilateralism,“ in Japan International Relations Association, Kokusai Seiji (International Relations), Vol.137 (June 2004).(in Japanese)
- Funso to Fukko Shien Heiwa Kochiku ni Muketa Kokusai-shakai no Taio (Conflicts and Reconstruction Assistance: International Response for Peacebuilding) (co-authored in Japanese) (Tokyo, Yuhikaku, 2004)
- Nihon no Anzenhosho (Japan’s Security) (co-authored in Japanese) (Tokyo, Yuhikaku, 2004)
- Nihon no Higashi-Ajia Koso (Japan’s Conception for East Ajia) (co-authored in Japanese) (Tokyo, Keio University Press, 2004)
- Iraku Senso to Jieitai Haken (The Iraq War and the Dispatch of the Self Defense Forces) (co-authored in Japanese) (Tokyo: Toyokeizaishimposha, 2004)
- Containing Conflict: Cases in Preventive Diplomacy (co-authored) (Tokyo: Japan Center for International Exchange, 2003)
- indo Kiki to Kokusai Kainyu: Heiwa Kaifuku no Shohosen (Humanitarian Crises and International Intervention: Prescriptions for Restoring Peace) (co-authored in Japanese) (Tokyo: Yushindo, 2003)
- Kokusai Kiki-gaku Kiki Kanri to Yobo Gaiko (International Crisis Studies Crisis Management and Preventive Diplomacy) (co-authored in Japanese) (Kyoto: Sekai Shiso Sha, 2002)
- ”Ningen no Anzenhosho to Nihon no Kokusai seisaku (Human Security and Japan’s International Policy),” International Security Association, Kokusai Anzenhosho (International Security), Vol.30, No.5 (December 2002)
- ”’Heiwa-kyosei’ no Gohosei to Seitousei: ‘Shudannteki Ningen Anzen Hosho no Seidoka wo Mezashite (Legality and Legitimacy of ‘Peace Enforcement”Towards an Institutionalization of ‘Collective Human Security),” Japan International Law Association, Kokusai-ho Gaiko Zasshi (Review of International Law and Diplomacy), Vol.101, No.1 (May 2002).
- Global Governance: Seifu naki Chitsujo no Mosaku (Global Governance: A Search for an Order without Government) (co-authored, in Japanese) (Tokyo: University of Tokyo Press, 2001)
- ”Ajia-taikeiyo Chiiki-anzenhosho-kyoryoku no Tenkai ARF to CSCAP wo Chushin toshite (Development of Asia-Pacific Regional Security Cooperation ARF and CSCAP as Main Fora),” The Japan Institute of International Affairs, Kokusai Mondai (International Affairs), May 2001 (in Japanese)
- Ajia Doko Nempo 2001 (Trends in Asia, 2001) (co-authored, in Japanese) (Tokyo: JETRO-Institute of Developing Economies, 2001)
- Asia’s Emerging Regional Order: Reconciling Traditional and Human Security (co-authored), (Tokyo: The United Nations University Press, 2000)
- ”Funso Yobo to Nihon no Kadai (Conflict Prevention and Agenda for Japan,” Kaikakusha (Reformers), November 2000.
- ”Kokuren no Shudanteki-anzenhoshoseido no Igi to Mondaiten (The Significance and Problems surrounding the United Nations Collective Security System),” Japan Association for United Nations Studies, 21 Seiki ni okeru Kokuren Sisutemu no Yakuwari to Tenbo (The Roles and Perspectives of the United Nation System in the 21st Century), (Tokyo: Kokusai Shoin, March 2000. (in Japanese)
- “Beikoku no Kosobo Funso Kainyu- Sono Dogisei, Gohosei, Seitosei,(The U.S. Intervention in Kosovo Conflict: Its Morality, Legality, and Legitimacy)” The Japan Institute of International Affairs, Kokusai Mondai (International Affairs), February 2000. (in Japanese)