The Department of Global Korean Studies
The Department of Global Korean Studies aims to educate and train students to become regional experts on Korea and East Asia and play a leading role in the field of global cooperation and development. By bringing in both historical material and contemporary text, the department offers a wide range of courses in Korean language, humanities, arts and design, and social sciences in English with an emphasis on the multidisciplinary approaches to understanding Korea in a systematic way.
Core and Required CoursesBeginner Korean 1 & 2, Culture and Society of Korea, Korean Politics and Economy, Korean Wave and Culture Issues, K-Pop: Korean Pop Culture, Understanding Korean Business
Selective CoursesBusiness and Economics Track: Business Finance, Consumer Behavior, International Finance, Korean Economy and Development, Principles of Marketing, Statistics for Social Science, etc. Art and Design Track: Commercial Music History, Cultural Topics in Korea, Fashion Conversation, Korean Cinema, Korean Cultural Heritage, Korean Media and Entertainment, etc.
Korean Language and Literature Track: Intermediate Korean 1 & 2, Advanced Korean 1 & 2, Korean Fictions and Movies, Korean Literature after 1900, Reading Korean Films, etc. Politics and Society Track: Comparative Area Studies, East Asian International Relations, Korean Foreign Policy, Making International Law in Korea, North Korea and Inter-Korean Relations, etc.
- Private companies: Global IT companies, Global consulting companies, Start-ups
- Banks and financial sectors: Domestic/foreign banks, Securities/Insurance companies
- Media: Global broadcasting channels, Domestic/international media companies
- Service industry: Tourism and hospitality industry, Distribution and logistics industry
- Government and public sector: Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Public enterprises, Non-governmental organizations
- International organizations, Law schools, Domestic/foreign graduate schools
FacultyThe faculty of the Department of Global Korean Studies are experts in research related to Korea and Asia in various fields such as art design, Korean language, business administration, economics, political science, international relations, Korean studies, and law. Detailed research topics include Korean companies, international finance, environment and climate change, international law, and Korean politics.